Friday, November 12, 2021

Process XLV

Asia, Noelle & Ryan
(No paper scripts!)
First off, I just want to say I know a lot of talented people.

Wednesday evening, I held an informal reading for the new play script I have written for the workshop. There are so few of us in class, I have had to ask three classmates to read two parts each, and one to read the stage directions, because the stage directions are pretty important. So it was important to me to hear six voices read the six roles before embarking on revision.

They were perfectly cast, too. I mean, I’ve never had a cold read of a script of mine with so many actors who totally got my sense of humor. I was flattered. They were just spot on. The only note I gave them at the outset was, don’t be someone else, be entirely yourself … only you just don’t care. You work in this place, and this place, these people … it just doesn't matter to you. It was all they needed.

But it’s too short. Or it’s a great short play, I don’t know. Each “act” would probably play at thirty minutes each. I think there is more business I could include. They clued me in to details which may not have been clear. And there could be a bit more character development. I have been encouraged to compose monologues. We’ll see about that.

Also, I kept an ear out for repetition. I never say “shut up” in my real life, but the characters say it one too many times. Also, “douchebag.” I’ll work on it.

I was struck by how many of the assembled expressed anxiety over the memories the play aroused in them, bad memories about working in food service. It’s just awful.

Took a break from classes on Thursday night, as it was Veterans’ Day, and spent it putting together a four-part residency for seniors surrounding my adaptation of Agatha Christie’s The Mysterious Affair at Styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment