Saturday, January 23, 2021

Process XIII

proc·ess
/ˈpräˌses,ˈprōˌses/ n. 1. a series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end.

Yes, that is what we are doing. Classes resumed this week, a new administration has begun, and the holidays are well and truly over. I do miss the Christmas tree, the decorations. But there is work to do. So, so very much work. Good work. But a lot of it.

There are times in my life in which I have so very much work to do that it can make me even more intensely focused and productive than ever before. I recently described a semester in which I failed incredibly. This was followed by a period of tremendous production.

I was in three plays at once spring quarter my junior year; acting on the mainstage, also as part of third year performance class, and I had written and was directing my first one act. The entire department faculty called me into a staff meeting to question whether I thought this was a good idea. I told them I believed it was. I got straight A’s that quarter. I even surprised myself.

I must read two plays over the weekend, and have another sixty pages of reading on queer theory. I am working with a team to produce the Thespian All-State show, and collaborating with Caitlin Lewins who is directing the Zoom premiere of Savory Taṇhā at Cleveland Public Theatre. These are all things that are happening.

Already, I am projecting my imagination ahead into the semester, and how to best maximize previous effort into future work.

Today we meet to discuss the NEOMFA New Works Festival, which will take a creative turn this year in light of blah blah blah. At work we are putting the finishing touches on a new residency podcast. And who knows, I may be producing a comix zine.

Will I retain my grade point average? That remains to be seen. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment