Sunday, February 16, 2020

On the Dark Side of Twilight: The Alcazar

Ten years ago, Great Lakes Theater produced my first outreach tour "On the Dark Side of Twilight."

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Well. I think that went all right.

Very good turn out at the Alcazar tonight, a nice mix of residents, friends and family, theater people and vampire freaks. Does the show work? I think it does. The nicest thing an audience member said following the performance was, "I was surprised more people didn't come out for curtain call."

My little girl, age seven, was in attendance. I am looking forward to talking to her about it. During the performance I had enough self-awareness to think, "Ew. Is that line going to bend her mind?"

with Özen Yula
Most of the time, however, there was not, in fact, time for such reflection. I think there was a brief moment during the first arc where I stood still for a few seconds backstage thinking, "Really? Shouldn't I be putting something on/taking something off/hitting a sound cue/wiping something up?" Other than that I was mostly doing at least one of those things, at all times, and so was everyone else.

It took five of us forty minutes to get everything out of the space, with assistance. What the hell will three of us do tomorrow? But it does pack up nicely.

And holy crap! Turkish playwright Özen Yula was in attendance to see the opening night of my show! Yeah. I think that went all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment