Sunday, March 15, 2020

The Short Play Project



The other night I attended a live performance with a closed audience, which was live streamed for the entertainment of thousands. It was an inspirational moment, and I couldn't help trying to imagine what creative project I might embark on to keep spirits high and encourage social distancing.

What is 'social distancing'?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued guidelines for “community mitigation strategies” to limit the spread of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, which include recommendations for “social distancing”—a term that epidemiologists are using to refer to a conscious effort to reduce close contact between people and hopefully stymie community transmission of the virus.
- "The Dos and Don’ts of ‘Social Distancing’" by Kaitlyn Tiffany, The Atlantic (3/12/2020)
Tent for "Worlds"
To that end I have created the "Short Play Project." I have written over one hundred short plays recently, and have asked folks to create short films from them. Dozens have responded to the call, this morning I posted three.

I have suggested these videos can be simple or sophisticated. The creation of them should in no way put one in danger of infection. For "Packing" the subject speaks to someone over the phone. In "Worlds" a couple created a makeshift (and I must say, very realistic!) tent in their living room, adding the sound of rain from a YouTube video. Luke did a scene playing off a sourdough pretzel.

I have posted these on my Facebook page. contact me there if you would like to participate, I will provide a script. And thanks!



UPDATE: Now! Also available at my YouTube Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment