Friday, June 17, 2022

Notes on Camp: Day Four


Camper walks in wearing a T-shirt reading “Be Kind.” Gray shirt, simple black font. I want my own version of this shirt.

The memory feature of Facebook has been rolling out camp memories every single day. It’s all a bit overwhelming.

We began the day by moving one of the Jester & Fools up to the Upstart Crows. This happens, one of the older kids from one of the younger groups is not challenged by what they are working on, or sometimes we notice that all of their friends are in the older group, and we adjust accordingly.

I asked the team to write for five minutes, reflecting upon what they had discovered, or discovered about themselves in the past three days. Then they shared their names and pronouns (so our newest member could hear them) followed by a one or two word summation of what they have discovered.

It was gratifying to learn all the wonderful things they had picked up, and that they are happy to be here. We need to reflect sometimes, to remember where we were, and how far we have come. Their telling me reminds me of this, too.

Today we ran through all eleven short plays. I was so impressed, not only at what a fantastic playwright I am, but how well my work can be interpreted by middle and high school students. I really need to create a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment