Saturday, March 26, 2022

Process LIX

Back in class and it feels so good! Except my back, my back does not feel good. I hope this does not become a thing.

I am on track to finish the first draft of my new “dream play”. There’s been a lot of buzz on social media about outlines, and whether or not you are a moron not to have created one. This play has no outline, though things do seem to be progressing towards a final resolution. I do not know if it is going to be victorious, tragic, or a mystery. I don’t think I’d know that yet, outline or no.

The wife suggested a second scene, and I played around with that. A waking scene. I may be able to come to a resolution in this way, but I am leery of tying things up too neatly.

Meanwhile, I have been receiving plentiful and supportive feedback on my new illness narrative. I have let that go for a few weeks, writing more than what was necessary for the initial assignment, but holding back on continuing until I received a green light from the professor.

My proposal reads like it is its own scene, and I need to find the right place to include that. At the same time, there are so many thoughts that, while interesting or even poignant, do not belong. They do not fit. They will not be included. You get me? You do.

Also, I led a discussion on Tuesday about Lily Hoang’s book, A Bestiary. I have read several personal narratives this semester, in different classes, written by women, and describing in part their relationships with manipulative, abusive, dishonest men. They also let the reader in on their feelings of complicity, putting the reader in an uncomfortable position of judgment.

I think I’m taking the summer off. The poetry course I took last summer was a bit overwhelming. This year has been exciting, but also taxing. I need more time to focus on the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment