Monday, April 6, 2020

Play a Day: My Father Left Us and All I Got Was This Rembrandt

Ryan Bultrowicz
For Monday, I read My Father Left Us and All I Got Was This Rembrandt by Ryan Bultrowicz and available at New Play Exchange.

Been thinking a lot about casual sex lately. Not the sex part, the casual part. The agreement part, the apartment part. The negotiation, the passion (or lack thereof) and the conversation. Before, during after. Mostly before. What was that like? I mean, what was I saying, way back then? I shudder to think.

Bultrowicz here crafts a compact case of coitus interruptus, a potential hook-up which is uncoupled by the roommate, a savant of unfixed gender (they are referred to as sometimes he, then she, but never they) whose interest in jigsaw puzzles becomes a puzzle to piece togther a masterpiece.

It's a witty Millennial moment about relationships, as the invited guest gets to know these two who bicker like affectionate siblings, exchanging sharp, intelligent yet blasé banter. Nothing good happens past 2 AM.

Who should I read tomorrow?


No comments:

Post a Comment