Thursday, April 16, 2020

Play a Day: Meet Me In The Bathroom

Cassie M. Seinuk
So the other day I got shamed by an actual, platinum-certified rock star for mocking the name of his band on the morning announcements in 1985.

Seriously, he took me to task for being a dick thirty-five years ago. Not that I wasn't a dick, but that's how he remembers me.

The lesson here, maybe, is never to be a dick. Ever. Not now, and not in high school.

For Thursday, I read Meet Me In The Bathroom by Cassie M. Seinuk and available at New Play Exchange. It's a cutting teenage drama, one that literally takes place entirely in one high school bathroom.

Seinuk creates a modern Greek tragedy, complete with chorus of voices, debate and off-stage violence, and the Unities followed in spirit if not the letter.

The question, for several of these teen protagonists, is when does betrayal actually happen? When an act of tragsression is committed, when the act is proposed, suggested, or as yet unspoken, living on in the mind of the perpetrator?

An intense tale for the #metoo era, flashing with on-point modern lingua (it helps that I have teenagers in my house) old wrongs fuel present actions and the conclusion is tragic for everyone involved.

Who should I read tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment