Friday, April 19, 2019

Play a Day: The Cabots of Broadway

Greg Hatfield
For Friday I read The Cabots of Broadway by Greg Hatfield and available at New Play Exchange.
Hi-diddle-dee-dee
An actor's life for me
- Leigh Harline / Ned Washington
I like historical fiction, on stage, in books or on film, for its sheer audacity. As writers we can pull the great men and women into our narrative which elevates our story to near mythic proportions.

Hatfield provides us a compact historical fiction, an American theater dynasty. The Cabots suffer triumph and tragedy that spans the 20th Century, offers of fame and wider audiences (European tours, the allure of Hollywood, and later TV) elusive and sometimes fraught.

Those of in “the life,” even on its fringes, live and breathe a theatrical vernacular which some may find pretentious, but no more so than those whose lives are immersed in sports or politics. The deeper you go the more easily you can connect with others who walk the same path.

One character reminisces, “I was doing Lady Macbeth and Desdemona in rep and switched the lines midway through the play. No one noticed.” This is a thing that happens and I know it because it’s happened to me.

Who should I read tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment