Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Styles: Set Design


Rehearsal for STYLES begins tonight. This morning I had a costume fitting with Esther, we have decided to go with padding for Poirot. Slipping into a flesh colored "fat suit" and then putting on the pants and vest, I could definitely see how weight ages me. I did not cheer me that, with torso padding, my neck makes sense.

Poirot will have one costume for the entire play, and this is a great delight to me. No throwing things on and off backstage, not for me, not this year. In addition, Poirot does not even appear until page 15 of a 60 page play. Who wrote this play? That's right, I did.


Terry and his team brought the set into our tiny office-turned-rehearsal space in the Hanna Building. It is beautiful. The outreach tour designers truly out-do themselves, every single year. Incorporating a door into the last tour I wrote, this year I insisted upon having two. And a fireplace. And a lot of period furniture. And that's exactly what we got.

Packing this into the van, and carting it all over Lorain, Cuyahoga and Summit County will be a challenge. Thank goodness that this cast includes not one, but two strapping men at the height of their brawn. And Emily. Who wrote this play? That's right, I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment