Saturday, November 5, 2011

Alex Bevan


"I'm a skinny, little boy from Cleveland, Ohio.
Come to drink your women and chase your beer."

- Skinny

My brother had a copy of Springboard (released 1976) and while the original attraction for me was to hear the forbidden lyrics of his signature song about the ectomorphic, young, alcoholic from Cleveland, Ohio, I soon enough found myself lying on the couch in the den, wearing those oversize headphones, listening to both sides of an album of sweet, simple acoustic love songs that I still really like a lot.

I first saw Bevan perform live my freshman year at O.U. where I learned alternate lyrics to Skinny which I ended up stealing, or "improving upon" when Scott T. and would perform the song at Lucky's a few years later. He also played the coffee house anthem, FOLKSINGERS ARE BORING:
Nobody comes to the coffee house,
Nobody comes to the coffee house,
Nobody comes to the coffee house,
Folk singers are boring.

Boring, Boring
Folk singers are boring,
Boring, Boring
Folk singers are boring.

First they sing a song about a train,
Then they sing a song about a train,
And then they sing a song about a train,
Folk singers are boring.
I was at my friend Leah's house almost ten years ago for her dad's birthday party, when out of the house walks Alex Bevan. Turns out her dad has been playing with him on and off since the late 1970s. Crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment