Severance Hall, built with a $1.5M donation from John L Severance in 1929, was completed in 1931 and has served as the home of the Cleveland Orchestra ever since.
In 1936 the orchestra was led by Polish conductor Artur Rodziński, pictured. He raised the prominence of the already noteworthy orchestra even higher, and granted American debuts to several innovative and modern works such as Shostakovich's opera Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk among 14 other staged operas, and increased the number of orchestra radio broadcasts.
1936 also marked the performance of the Cleveland Women's Orchestra, the oldest orchestra of its kind in the world.
The President of the Cleveland Orchestra in 1936 was Dudley S. Blossom, whose name was given to the Blossom Music Center, which opened in 1966.