Sunday, April 23, 2023

An Open Letter to My NEOMFA Mentors and Colleagues

When I started my degree, it was August 2020. My classroom was my dining room, or living room, or bedroom. Sometimes even outside, on the porch or the deck. Classes were held via conferencing sites, or asynchronously on Facebook.

I saw your rooms, the art on your walls, but mostly I saw your faces. And we spoke in turn and our thoughts were considerate. Knowing that I would have a certain amount of time when my mic was on to share my thoughts, I took notes and strove for a clarity of expression that I was not used to. There was no cross-talk, no chance to make verbal utterance of agreement, or even to laugh. I had to get used to not knowing whether my asides were landing.

And that was significant. Communication was more important than ever those days, and I looked forward to each class, so much. I had and have so much respect for each of my colleagues and professors, and class was a celebration of togetherness in a period of great isolation.

When my friends learned that I was pursuing a degree I was often met with surprise. I didn’t already have a Masters degree? And why now? Why playwriting, for which it was assumed I was already a professional.

As a young man, I was a terrible student, and I wanted to correct that. I wanted to be a good student. And in spite of a lifetime of reading and writing, I felt my continued studies were limited. Narrow. I want to spend my future days knowing where to look, I wanted an idea of what I was missing.

The courses that were offered, and the courses I chose, helped me appreciate the current moment, where we are and where we are headed, by looking back; to Wheatley, Baldwin, Jackson, Whitman, Lorde, and Strindberg, Churchill, Gray, and the contemporaries, Abdurraqib, Beilin, Walden, also Hunter, George, Harris, Ijames, and so many more, writers all, poets, journalists, and playwrights. All the inspiring words.

What did it mean, to jumpstart my anemic education? I’ve spent over twenty years narrowly focused on Shakespeare and also Christie, not bad company but they did not lift me up, they have not provided context for society in the 21st Century. I feel as though my education has only started, and in the years to come I hope to keep up after falling so far behind.

I am grateful for all of my NEOMFA colleagues, especially Eric M. and Laura B., who have been a constant source of support and inspiration, and Gabby D., with whom I passed electronic notes during class.

I thank and honor my professors, particularly David T. and Michael O. for driving me to create new theatrical works, and especially Hilary P. and Chris B. who agreed to join my thesis committee, for attending Scenes From a Night’s Dream, for laughing in the right places and sharing such kind and supportive thoughts after.

And most significantly, many grateful thanks to Mike G., a mentor and a colleague, someone who I have known and written alongside for many years, but has been instrumental in pushing me and my work in new and meaningful directions through the NEOMFA.

No comments:

Post a Comment