Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Play a Day: Cul-De-Sac

Joanie Drago
For Tuesday, I read Cul-De-Sac by Joanie Drago and listed at New Play Exchange.

Absolutely everything comes back to quarantine. Today we will post the fortieth of my short plays which have been turned into brief videos since March 15. Most of them, written before the onset of COVID-19, have taken on contemporary resonance recorded as they under shelter-at-home regulations.

Likewise, I want to stage a live, three camera performance of Cul-De-Sac, like a 70s sit-com complete with canned laughter, but also the stage blood, full frontal nudity and armfuls of carrots the text requires.

It's the boredom of quarantine, and the potential for madness I would like to express, which in this case is played for laughs, while at the same time exhibiting a keen emulation of the social commentary of (spoiler alert) Ray Bradbury.

Who should I read tomorrow?

2 comments:

  1. Aww, I'm just now seeing this somehow. Thank you for your very kind words about Cul-de-Sac! Joanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I just saw this! Pleasure was all mine.

      Delete