Saturday, January 2, 2010


Two playwrights received fellowships this cycle, I had coffee with the other one on Wednesday night. We weren't planning world-playwriting-domination, he just happens to be the most-produced playwright in Cleveland, and I am in desperate need of professional guidance.

My time with him was extremely valuable, as I hoped it would be, I do hate going into meetings not knowing what the questions are but that's the thing, as much as I feel prepared to write my ass off this year, I do not have a list in front of me of all the other things you need to do to be a big, grown-up professional ... well, anything, really. I think I know, but I do not know from experience or guidance or anything. I like to ask people who know how to do things, I do not like to reinvent anything.

We discussed agents, agencies, publishing, how much of your house you can write off for taxes, software, hardware, Google alerts, conferences, local companies - and more!

Next: New Year's Eve and how everyone is a potential contact.

LATER: This is why you have a blog, people will tell you things - from Kevin:

-- ---------------------------
Here are five important things the IRS wants you to know about claiming the home office deduction.

1. Generally, in order to claim a business deduction for your home, you must use part of your home exclusively and regularly:
• As your principal place of business, or
• As a place to meet or deal with patients, clients or customers in the normal course of your business, or
• In the case of a separate structure which is not attached to your home, it must be used in connection with your trade or business

For certain storage use, rental use or daycare-facility use, you are required to use the property regularly but not exclusively.

2. Generally, the amount you can deduct depends on the percentage of your home that you used for business. Your deduction for certain expenses will be limited if your gross income from your business is less than your total business expenses.

3. There are special rules for qualified daycare providers and for persons storing business inventory or product samples.

4. If you are self-employed, use Form 8829, Expenses for Business Use of Your Home, to figure your home office deduction. Report the deduction on line 30 of Schedule C, Form 1040.

5. Different rules apply to claiming the home office deduction if you are an employee. For example, the regular and exclusive business use must be for the convenience of your employer.

For more information see IRS Publication 587, Business Use of Your Home, available on or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).

Link: Publication 587, Business Use of Your Home

No comments:

Post a Comment